Thursday, November 24, 2011

My Wired Roots, The Beginning

I've often pondered my addiction to glass and wire and jewelry. Understanding the glass and the jewelry part is easy. I was raised in a "stained glass" household and I've always been a girly-girl when it comes to jewelry which my Grandma Lola encouraged. But as for the wire.....

I had a flash of insight the other day as I was working on some stained glass butterflies. As I was soldering on the finishing details-hooks and antennae and my mind wandered back to my childhood watching my father do the same.

I realized my father was probably the first one to interest and teach me with the things one can do with wire. Some of my earliest memories of "wireworking" was how my dad used wire to create fun faces on stained glass suncatchers. He taught me how to make "jump rings" ie wire loops for eyeballs and hooks. Bending wire to make fun smiles on our funny faced critters among other things. He made antennae for butterflies and other bugs. His glass glob, lead came and wire work bugs were cute and fun! He used wire in a wonderfully creative manner to give our stained glass suncatchers life and personality.

So now I don't think it's at all strange that I am so addicted to wire and what one can do with it!

Thank You Dad for these early wirework lessons.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful....your work is amazing!

WillowWalker said...

Thank you Char!