Monday, December 29, 2008

Reflections of 2008, Part I

I've found myself thinking back upon the past year and allowing myself to admit that personally it was rather horrible. In hindsight I've been to hell and back. I think most of my family, friends and ex would agree with that assessment.
It is hard to believe that it was just a little over a year ago, December 22, that our eight year old daughter was diagnosed with acquired Aplastic Anemia. This plunged us into a seven month hell of hospitals, treatments, complications and a routine of bi-weekly blood tests, weekly transfusions and a complex schedule of medications including a daily injection.
Unfortunately she did not survive and succumbed to complications from the disease exactly seven months to the day of her diagnosis after fighting a three week battle with an aggressive fungus. She astounded all her doctors, nurses and caretakers with her will to survive. She is my hero.
I'm grateful for many things that have helped me through this difficult time. I have my spirituality and have found much comfort in the meaning of "God's Will". I don't have a lot of regrets thankfully. I loved and appreciated her while she was here and I know that she knew that. I had the chance to make my peace with her and to say good bye. Also lots of support from friends and family and my craft to keep me busy and give me a reason to keep going.
I have now made it past my first Christmas without her. I still miss my buddy, cohort, junior partner, third generation glass artist, grade A student who had an unquenchable zest for life, a great sense of style-my darling "baby" girl.

No comments: