Thursday, May 19, 2011

WIP-Cutting Dichroic Cabs





Here's a slab of fused rainbow ripple dichroic glass. First I mark the shapes of the cabs (cabochons) that I wish to cut out.

Second I cover the metallic paint pen with this goop called "Mark Stay II" It's a heavy duty version and works much, much better than the original or rubbing the lines with a candle...First time I've used the new formula. It went on easily, didn't smear the lines and held up much better than the "old" options. The lines didn't wash, float or flake away-I didn't have to re-mark a single cab!


Before I started cutting using my Taurus III ring saw I decided to replace the blade which led to replacing the belt and a thorough cleaning of the water basin as I couldn't get the motor to sit properly back on/in it otherwise. In the picture is the saw, my safety glasses and the slab. The saw has a diamond coated cable for the blade. I can cut in any direction I wish on this-backwards, forwards or sideways.

The last picture shows the rough cut cabs ready for the next stage.

No comments: