Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Probate & IOTD


IOTD-"Tear Of The Goddess" Bronze Dichroic Art Glass Necklace. Soon I will be re-pricing my goodies to reflect the rising cost of the metals I use in them.

What can I say? I've been rudely thrust into the world of being a responsible adult and probate sucks. I have to have the majority of the information for probate gathered and ready at the same time as the taxes.

I have inventoried the stained glass shop to figure out what the business is worth. I've had the house and property appraised. I have a household inventory done with an estimate of it's value. Last year's property taxes are paid. The funeral service is paid. One of Dad's credit cards is paid off. Bank accounts are closed and an estate account opened. I am STILL waiting on the blankety-blank life insurance. It will be paying off dad's other credit card-the big one. I will be using this month's grocery budget to make a payment on it courtesy of the life insurance company. I was told that they would process the claim and send the money "today" about three weeks ago. Yesterday when I called to check I was told it hasn't been processed yet, but they will do it "tomorrow". Yeah, right, whatever. Going to take a loooong time to finish probate if I have to pay everything off out of MY pocket. Well I want to keep "my' home and the business. I need the vehicles to do my job of delivering papers. Besides I can't rent for what I'm paying for the mortgage!

Speaking of delivering papers-I took over my father's paper routes along with mine. I am know delivering 470 paper every morning. I get up at one am and get home between five thirty and six am. I am hoping that this will give me enough income to pay all my new bills.

I was so excited to get the paper delivery job. With the income I would be able to pay off an old debt, buy dichroic glass, wire and tools I'd wanted for several years. Not to mention getting my teeth fixed and replacing my poor old laptop. Most of that isn't going to happen anytime soon. That money goes to pay bills instead. I am grateful to have the income though.

My father died before he could show me how to read the pay invoices from my newspaper route. Actually I have my route figured out. It is reading his invoices that is giving me so much trouble. And of course the no one at the paper can show me how to read the dern things. I'm hoping to get a chance to run into my dad's friend so I can ask him for help.

So dad, err his estate, my ex and I are all filing tax extensions. The ex and I have to take extensions because my pay invoice from last December has gone AWOL and I am waiting to see if I will be allowed a copy. (we are NOT supposed to lose these, I'm not sure if I lost it or dad put it somewhere) The tax man will not have time to do file our taxes before the 18th

No comments: