Thursday, November 19, 2009

Day 19 Of The AEDM Challenge Plus New Lesson


Here are the finished cabs from last night, er the wee hours of this morning.

I learned something interesting today and instead of being upset about it, I'm okay with it. About eighteen months ago I came up with the idea of making these colors when I created my "Windows" jewelry series. To make these I used silver dichroic glass. This gives me a wonderful, larger color range. Unknowingly I have stocked up on the Red/Silver/Blue version of the silver dichroic glass. This is not the silver I started with. As a result about eight of twenty one colors I made yesterday did not turn out to well. You can't see the dichroic at all in the red cabs or the orange. The pale pink and peach have no color at all, the lime is almost yellow. The two shades of red-violet you can't hardly see the dichroic in either. The good news is the backside of the orange cabs look really neat with blue-silver dichroic sparkling in the orange. I'm going to re-fire them with their backs up! This red/silver/blue actually gave the rest of the colors (except walnut) more sparkle!

I've decided I'm going to give the rest of the colors a break for now. Later when things are better and I can purchase more dichroic glass I'll think about it. I find this decision strangely enough to be very freeing! For the time being I will only have these "stock" colors in the 12mm cabs: hot pink, coral, yellow, amber, walnut, moss, forest, light & darck aqua, pale & deep blue, neo-lavender and med & dark blue-violet.

Out of the blue I decided to start experimenting with different colors of dichroic ripple glass on opal (solid) colored glass again. I put a shelf load of red, terra-cotta, persimmon and chestnut in to fire tonight. I am so excited to see the results come morning! I will be logging these color combos into my sketch book for future reference. I am playing with glass that I have. It will be nice to be able to go back and re-create my the favorites or to know what I need to order so I can make them!

As I now have lots of red/silver/blue dichroic glass to use up I will definitely start making more of the "dichro doodles" cabochons too!

No comments: